Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

No that is not Photo-Shopped!

Images can be deceiving - here my son, Malcolm, works to create a photo-shop effect without the use of image editing technology. 

As a teacher I am reminded constantly that trends change quickly in society - especially within the lives of our youth. What is cool today is gone tomorrow. Hairstyles for instance - wow - if you do not believe me go to any school and look at pictures of their graduating classes - it is a testimonial to the fact that what is cool today can quite often be gone tomorrow - and in the case of some of those hair dos and don'ts one might breathe a sigh of relief.

The trend that is being demonstrated here is the art of photo jumping. The photo is taken in the courtyard of the royal palace at Versailles - the hunting lodge that Louis the XVI turned into an 18th Century Euro Disney for his courtiers. The structure and grounds are impressive and the French government is to be commended for its efforts at maintaining the palace and grounds as a national treasure.

Back to photo jumping - this is the art of getting another party to take a picture of you and/or you and your friends jumping. For this to work everyone's feet need to be off of the ground at the same time. The effect is to create a photo that looks like you have been photo-shopped onto a pre-existing image. I took many of these shots for a variety of my students while on the '09 Canadian Battlefields tour of France, Belgium and Holland. My reason for selecting this shot with my son Malcolm is because of all of the "jump shots" that I took on the trip, or was shown by laughing students, I found that this was the one that most looked like a person was being photo-shopped onto an existing photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment