Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

When You Know They Get It

"You know what bothers me the most dad?"
                                                                                             - Malcolm Gillmor

Often, when I tell people that I am a senior high humanities teacher, this strange look passes across their face and they shake their heads sympathetically and tell me that there is no way that they could do my job. This is usually followed by some sort of pronouncement about the defectiveness of youth: their narcissistic self-absorption, their lack of respect for their elders, their past, the efforts of others on their behalf, that they are fortunate to have what they have - I am sure that you are used to the litany of youthful offenses. The funny thing is that I am pretty sure that my generation was accused of the same things, as was the generation of our parents and so on clear back to the cavemen.

While I will admit that there is the odd day, as a teacher and father, when I do question what it is that I am accomplishing with my students and I occasionally think that they might be better off with someone else facilitating their education, someone who is better able to get through to them in a way that they will better understand. Then there are days like the one in this photograph; days that make my job the most fantastic job on the planet.

As a Social Studies teacher I spend a great deal of time leading my students through a myriad of human conflict and its results. I have tried for years to paint pictures using words, images located on the computer, poetry from various conflicts and the like. I get my students, in Grade 11, to conduct the Peace Day Ceremonies at the school for the entire Junior and Senior High student body. While there is acknowledgement at the time on the part of the students that they have absorbed something from the proceedings I am still uncertain; not of their ability to absorb the information that I cause them to research and manipulate into the final presentation but if I have facilitated a long-term internalization of the sacrifice, suffering, loss and ultimate waste that is inexorably linked to armed conflict.

This picture was taken at Canadian Cemetery #2 at Vimy Ridge - it was originally established by the Canadian Corps in April 1917. Most of the original occupants were from the 4th Division. Battlefield clearing in 1919 greatly increased the occupancy of this cemetery with the last Canadian burial taking place in 1947. There are 2,966 burials, of which 72% are unknown - 693 of those interned are Canadian with 226 unknown. This photo was taken just after my son, who I should point out was also one of my students that has put on the above noted Peace Day Celebration, made one of the most profound and reaffirming statements that I could wish for.

Members of our tour group were walking aimlessly through the cemetery placing poppys, that had been supplied by our local Legion branch, on headstones of Canadian and Commonwealth soldiers when Malcolm walked up to me and said, "Do you know what bothers me the most Dad?" I responded in the negative wondering what was aching, hot or hungry when he continued, "It is not the number of soldiers that are buried here but the number that are unknown ...... it just doesn't seem right."

Malcolm continued on his way as I stood there totally overcome with emotion. It was the most reassuring moment of my life as an educator and parent. I had always believed that my students, and children did understand - but here in that Cemetery at that very moment I knew beyond all doubt that this was the case. On those days when I am cast back to wondering if what I do as an educator or parent is of substance; if this generation is capable of appreciating the sacrifices of their elders, if they can relate to the larger world and events that have taken place I think back to events like this and I am certain that youth have it in them to understand, appreciate and empathize in a way that causes me great hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment